Friday, April 16, 2010

When life gives you peanut butter...

It turns out that I bought wayy too much peanut butter and jelly for the cupcakes I made a couple of days ago, so when I was looking for something to make tonight I was drawn to this recipe for obvious reasons. I can't just let those ingredients waste away in the fridge now, can I? 
I also had some mini white chocolate chips in the cupboard and decided that it would be an interesting experiment in taste combinations to throw them in with the jam and see what happened. The result was kind of awesome. These bars are super easy and SUPER yummy, and definitely captures the essence of PB&J.
 



PB&J Bars
Adapted from Ina Garten
Yields 16 bars

1/2 C butter, softened
3/4 C sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 C natural peanut butter (smooth or chunky, I know this is a touchy subject)
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C jam
1/2 C white chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla and peanut butter and mix until thoroughly combined. In a separate bowl whisk together flours, soda and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients. Nonstick spray an 8×8 baking dish and put in two thirds of the batter, distribute evenly (I used my fingers). Spread jam on top of batter, sprinkle with white chocolate chips. Dollop remaining batter on top. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment