Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A very merry gluten-free holiday

The plight of my gluten-free friends is never far from my mind. I myself try to eat gluten-free except for my baked goods, because although I'm not allergic, I find that less gluten makes me feel so much better!

Fun fact: Gluten is a protein found in rye, wheat and barley, and is responsible for the toughness you get in baked goods when you over-knead or mix dough. It is not found in rice, corn, quinoa, oats, or soybeans.

So in the gluten-free spirit, I decided to give this recipe a shot. I've become enamored with the flavor of pistachio since my time in Paris - they use it a lot there, while it's relatively rare to find here in the states. Because this recipe uses both almond meal and pistachios, it's a little pricey, but once I tasted the finished product I decided it was well worth the cost!

The only trick to this recipe (which is super easy) is to grind the pistachios. I don't have a food processor at school (Christmas...?) but I do have a coffee grinder which worked splendidly. Chopping by hand really won't work because the consistency of the cookie is much better when you have a flour-like consistency for the almond and pistachio.

So rejoice gluten-free and gluten-loving friends - this is the easiest and most lovely recipe you'll find this holiday season! Enjoy!

Italian Pistachio Cookies
Adapted from Trissalicious
Makes about 12 cookies


1 C dry roasted unsalted pistachio nutmeats, ground finely
1 C dry roasted unsalted pistachio nutmeats, chopped coarsely
1 C almond meal
1/2 C granulated sugar
2 egg whites

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment. Mix all ingredients together except for the coarsely chopped pistachios. Roll rounded tablespoonfuls in the chopped pistachios, then place on baking sheet. Bake for about 13 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment