Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tidings of comfort and joy


I was on my break during work last night and enjoying a steaming cup of one of our amazing teas when a coworker walked by and said that with that look of pure bliss I should be in a coffee commercial. I don't know about that, but I do suspect that I look very content as I find myself completely absorbed in the experience of drinking a cup of soul-restoring coffee, tea, hot chocolate - whatever. If you're like me, there's only one way to make that cup of coffee even better. Baked goods.

Coffee cake is a classic choice, and I realized that I've sadly ignored this genre of baking for a while. When I stumbled upon this recipe for blueberry coffee cake made with sour cream instead of milk, I knew it had to be next on my baking list. In general, sour cream, buttermilk and milk can be interchanged in recipes, with higher fat content making a richer cake. I say that if you're going to eat cake, eat GOOD cake - none of this non-fat milk nonsense.

Also, I followed a tip on the original website to make the streusel topping "upside down" if using a bundt pan. Instead of being on the top like usual if you're baking it in a square pan, sprinkle it on top of filled bundt molds - it will be on the bottom when you flip it! My streusel wasn't too thick, but you can make it as sugary as you'd like!

Note: This recipe could be fun with any kind of berries, especially chopped strawberries, raspberries, cranberries... the list goes on.


Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
From Savory Sweet Life


Streusel:
5 Tbsp butter, cold and cut into 1/2" chunks
3/4 C all-purpose flour
1 C brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Directions: Mix all ingredients together using a food processor or pastry cutter until butter is still crumbly.

Coffee Cake:

1 C sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened

2 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C sour cream
2 C blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare non-silicone pans with nonstick spray or butter and flour. Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Add egg, sour cream and vanilla and blend for another 2 minutes. Add salt, baking powder and flour and mix until fully incorporated. Gently fold in blueberries and spoon into molds or pan. Spoon on streusel topping and gently press into top of batter. Bake for about 30 minutes if using mini bundt pans, or up to 60 minutes if using an 8"x8" pan. The cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment