Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Lotta Ricotta

I wanted to start titling my posts like a grown-up, but I couldn't resist this one.

After some lovely experiences with making lemon ricotta pancakes for lazy Saturday breakfasts, I've been on a bit of a kick with this creamy, impossibly fluffy cheese. It's a yummy dessert topped with honey or roasted berries, or it adds fantastic lightness to the texture of cakes and pancakes. Now that spring is springing, you can try my delicious recipe for Lime Ricotta Cupcakes or start your morning with my newest project, Blueberry Ricotta Muffins.



























I'm not going to try to justify these muffins with the words hearty or fiber. In my opinion, the only real difference between the most delicious muffins and cupcakes is a bunch of frosting. I can tell you confidently, however, that they are a treat that may just give you the soul food you crave at the beginning or end of a long day. Warm it up, spread a little butter on (I won't tell...) and enjoy with a cup of tea while enjoying the San Francisco fog. The turbinado sugar sprinkled on top adds some sparkle and sweet crunch that puts on the perfect finishing touch. 


Feel free to substitute raspberries, blackberries or even sliced strawberries if that's more your style; I threw in the last of the blueberries that I froze from last August, and they still taste as sweet as the day I bought them. If I haven't mentioned it enough, you should definitely buy a large container of blueberries when they are in season and freeze them - you'll be so glad you did when you're enjoying fresh blueberry pancakes in the middle of December!
Nutmeg from the wild!


A couple of notes about the recipe:
- I found that using half whole wheat pastry flour gave the muffins a little bit more substance.
- If you can, invest in a few whole nutmegs and a microplane. Fresh nutmeg is SO much better, in every recipe, when you've just grated it yourself!
- Depending on the ricotta you buy, it may be a little bit grainier in texture. I popped mine in a Cuisinart and blended it until it was a uniform, creamy texture that mixed into the recipe more consistently.







Blueberry Ricotta Muffins
Adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod
Makes 12 muffins


1 C granulated sugar
1/2 C (1 stick) butter - softened
1 C ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

2 C all-purpose flour (or I used 1 C all-purpose and 1 C whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg

1 C fresh or frozen berries
Turbinado sugar (for topping)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners or nonstick spray.

Cream butter and sugar together in an electric mixer on medium-high speed for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add ricotta and mix, scraping down the bowl as needed. Add egg and vanilla and blend together.
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Blend into the ricotta mixture gradually, being careful not to overmix. Add berries and stir to combine.

Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners. The dough won't rise a lot, so don't be afraid to essentially fill them. Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with turbinado sugar. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.





No comments:

Post a Comment