Friday, June 4, 2010

When life gives you brown bananas

My roommate Kaitlyn cannot eat bananas if they have a spot on them, so as you can imagine, I often come into possession of raw materials for banana baked goods! There were two very brown bananas staring at me this morning, and I knew today was the time to act. Instead of banana bread, though, I wanted to do something a little more unconventional, like biscotti! I found this banana bread biscotti recipe and knew I had to give it a shot. For some unsettling reason, I didn't have any chocolate in the house, but I did add cinnamon and nutmeg to add a little extra something to the flavor. GOOD choice :) If you prefer milder flavor, skip the nutmeg and add chocolate along with the cinnamon.
I'm still a little conflicted about the texture, though - mine have a little more banana than the original recipe and I don't know if that contributed to the fact that they're not quite as crispy as I'd like. I think I'd go back to the original recipe listed below...

Banana Bread Biscotti
Adapted from Cookie Madness

1 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C all purpose flour
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C mashed banana (1 banana)
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C chopped, toasted pecans or walnuts (optional)
1/3 C chocolate chips (optional)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, combine banana, oil, egg and vanilla and mix until well blended. Add the flour mixture, toasted pecans and chocolate chips to the banana mixture and stir just until combined. If the mixture seems dry, use your hands to mix until the dough comes together.
Shape into a 12-inch log. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and flatten to about 4 inches across. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until firm and cracked on top. Transfer the logs to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes and reduce oven temperature to 275 degrees F.
Place log on a cutting board and cut diagonally into 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick slices. Place biscotti cut side down on the cookie sheet. Return them to the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Flip them over and cook for another 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment