Monday, June 14, 2010

Chunky Monkey

My joy after finishing the quarter coincided perfectly with brown bananas to result in this fantastic recipe. I don't throw around this statement lightly, but I think I may have found something I like better than chocolate chip cookies...
What I love most is the very subtle banana flavor in these cookies - kind of like banana bread but even less so. I gave them to people without telling them they were banana, and it wasn't a "whoah, banana!" reaction but more of a "mm... these kind of taste like banana" kind of thing. The texture is also fantastic - they stay very soft even when fully baked, so you get the best of both doughy and dense. I didn't add nuts because I'm not a huge fan, but if you really want to go for crunchy, use chunky peanut butter and add nuts. An added bonus is that these can be "veganized" by using margarine, vegan chocolate, and soy milk (with added lemon juice). The absence of eggs also means that you can eat the dough raw without worrying (not that I ever do...).
But whatever you do, just make them. You won't regret it!

Chunky Monkey cookies
Adapted from Namely Marly

1/4 C buttermilk, (or 1/4 C milk with 1/4 Tbsp lemon juice added)
1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
1 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 C peanut butter (I used smooth, I know there's some diehard chunky fans out there though)
1/2 C granulated sugar
1 C packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 C chocolate chips
1 C walnuts, chopped (optional)

Directions: Heat oven to 375°. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, peanut butter, sugars, and vanilla in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add mashed bananas and beat well. Gradually beat in flour mixture and then soy buttermilk mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.



No comments:

Post a Comment