Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Who says healthy can't be fun AND yummy?

Purple is my favorite color. I often buy articles of clothing in my favorite shade of deep purple and realize that I don't actually like the clothes, just the color...
Anywho, I was at Ralph's the other day and saw purple cauliflower, a marvel of genetic engineering (wooo DNA!). I concocted this delicious and SUPER DUPER healthy dinner and it's the most beautiful non-dessert food I've ever made.



I followed the following procedure, and served with a nice juicy spice-rubbed chicken breast. Big fat YUM.

Pan-Roasted Veggie Rainbow

Cut broccoli and cauliflower into florets and slice in half so a cut side will be exposed to the pan. Using a vegetable peeler, shred yellow squash, carrots and zucchini into thin strips. 

Heat large skillet over medium-high, then add about a 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Throw in the broccoli and cauliflower and toss to coat. Let sit without stirring for 2ish minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, then add about 3 Tbsp of water. Cover pan and let contents steam for 2ish minutes. Remove cover and stir contents before adding shredded veggies. Cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli and cauliflower are fork-tender.

ENJOY! And perhaps follow with dessert...

1 comment:

  1. You are too cute! This looks wonderful and sounds delish. (Minus the zuchinni... you know that I have a weird thing about those green monstrosities haha) I love seeing all your fun baking adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete