Saturday, March 27, 2010

Raw Chocolate Coconut Almond Bites

I'm going to tell myself (and you) that this next recipe is for some healthy little guys that are also DE-lish. To all my gluten-free and vegan friends, this one's for you! The chocolate I use for everything is Trader Joe's 72% dark chocolate "pound-plus" bar in the red wrapper. It's the best chocolate I've found if you don't want to pay a million dollars per ounce (if you do, try Valrhona). 
This recipe is not for the faint of heart or the squeamish. The recipe is pure dark chocolate and almond butter, so it's extremely rich and even I had to admit I was satisfied after one or two... or three. I also ended up with chocolate and almond butter up to my elbows, but I'm not complaining. I also didn't let it cool before trying to divide up the mixture, so I was kind of asking for it. I'd advise removing the bowl from the double boiler and letting the chocolate cool a bit before rolling the balls, or divide it up and let it set on parchment and then roll it (like I did). 

Anywho, enjoy! FYI, you can substitute rolled oats for the slivered almonds if that's more your thing. You're missing out on the monounsaturated fats though :) 



Raw Chocolate Almond Coconut Bites
Adapted from a recipe from Macaroni and Cheesecake
Makes about 36 bites

Ingredients:
1 1/2 C dark chocolate chips (8 1/2 oz if you're using a bar)
2 1/2 C blanched slivered almonds, chopped a little bit
1/2 C honey
1 C unsweetened shredded coconut
1 C almond butter or natural peanut butter
1/3 cup raisins (if desired)

Directions: Melt chocolate, honey and nut butter in a double boiler. Remove from heat and add almonds a little at a time, stirring to mix thoroughly. Add coconut and mix until combined. Add in raisins if desired. Stir all together until well mixed. I'm impatient so I scooped out the mixture while it was still pretty warm, so I had to make little piles on the parchment and wait for it to set a little before rolling it into balls.
Roll into balls or flatten into cookies. Chill in refrigerator or freezer until set, then store in an air tight container in the fridge to keep them set.

No comments:

Post a Comment