Friday, December 10, 2010

Put on your yarmulke...

... it's past the last day of Hannukah! I am super late on this, but I don't want to completely leave out Hannukah in the celebration of yummy baked things. I've become an honorary Jew this year thanks to my roomies, and I'm embracing the experience of lighting the candles each night over some matzo ball soup.

I first fell in love with ruglach when I found them in my mom's international cookie cookbook as an 8 year-old, and when I saw this new interpretation of the traditional Jewish cookie I knew I had to try it! I love the traditional filling of cinnamon and nuts, but I wanted to try something different so I mixed up a combination of raspberry, raisins and sliced almonds.

The verdict? My coworkers and roommates thought they were delightful, and I loved that they're a flaky, light but filling departure from many other holiday cookies. Feel free to experiment with different fillings - I've seen Nutella and hazelnut, walnut and cinnamon and many others!

Raspberry Raisin Almond Ruglach Bars 
Adapted from Hungry Rabbit

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2" pieces
8 oz cream cheese
2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt

1 C raspberry jam
1/2 C golden raisins
1 C sliced almonds

1 egg yolk
3 Tbsp granulated sugar

Directions: Mix butter and cream cheese with a paddle attachment on low speed until cream cheese is broken down but butter is still slightly chunky. Add flour and salt at low speed and mix for about 20 seconds - until the dough begins to hold together but is still crumbly. Divide the dough into two and press together two rectangles on plastic wrap. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 5 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast sliced almonds on a foil-lined baking sheet until golden brown and fragrant. Remove and let cool. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Roll out one dough rectangle to a 9" x 13" rectangle and lay on the baking sheet. Spread raspberry jam over dough, then sprinkle raisins and almonds evenly over. Roll out second sheet of dough, lay over filling, and trim edges to match. Brush egg yolk over top layer and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden, about 30-35 minutes, rotating halfway. Cool on a wire rack and cut into 24 bars about 1" x 3 3/4" in dimension.


No comments:

Post a Comment