Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It's beginning to taste a lot like Christmas

There is nothing that makes me happier than baking during the holiday season. Now that Thanksgiving has passed, I'm officially in baking overdrive (and by default eating overdrive). To me, Christmas can be defined by two things - cranberries and gingerbread. I never see these ingredients used outside of winter baking, so obviously I look to them first when I start the marathon of December baking. I found this recipe and instantly knew I was going to bake - and love - it. The end product blew me away with its combination of sweet, spicy and tart, and it is like a little bit of Christmas in every bite.
I substituted fresh frozen cranberries for dried, and loved the result. As for the rest, I stuck to the recipe   - honestly, I wouldn't change a thing! I can't say enough good things about this recipe, and it's definitely going in my repertoire for future baking :)


Gingerbread Scones with Maple Glaze
Adapted from The Noshery
Makes 8 scones


1 3/4 C whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 C old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 C packed light brown sugar
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Zest of 1 lemon
1/3 C dried cranberries
1/2 C buttermilk
2 1/2 Tbsp unsulphured molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract


Glaze:
1/2 C sifted confectioners sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp unsulphured molassas
1 – 2 tsp milk


Directions: In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together, flour, oats, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Using a fork or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until it looks crumbly. Stir in cranberries and lemon zest. In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, molasses and vanilla. With the dough hook attachment, slowly mix the flour/butter mixture and gradually add buttermilk mixture. Mix until just combined and begins to form a ball. 

Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead dough gently about four or five times and form into a large ball. Push the dough down and form into a large circle about 7 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut the circle in half and cut each half into 4 even slices. Place scones on baking sheet.
Place baking sheet into another baking sheet to keep the scones bottoms from over browning.  Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Transfer to cooking rack when done.
For the glaze, combine all ingredients. Add more milk as necessary (start with 1 tsp) to get your desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled scones and let dry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment