Sunday, May 15, 2011

Birthday blowout - Part II

And the celebration continues... with the bright, tart sweetness of lemon! I've fallen deeper and deeper in love with everything lemon flavored, and I think this recipe is pretty much the pinnacle of lemon-ness. I love my boyfriend so much that I will even candy lemon peel for him... If you'd like a touch of color and texture, add blueberries or raspberries!








I'll let the recipe and photos speak for themselves, but I'll sum it up by saying that these little pillows of heaven are best eaten the day they are baked, and just after being frosted. Refrigerating will make the cake very dense and a mere shadow of its former light, fluffy, crumby texture. With a recipe like this I don't think they'll last long!


Triple Lemon Cupcakes


Lemon Cupcakes
From Joy of Baking


1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
2/3 C granulated
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 1 large lemon
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C whole milk

frozen blueberries or raspberries (optional)
lemon curd (I like Trader Joe's brand)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with cupcake liners or nonstick spray. Rub lemon zest into sugar so the sugar is completely coated. Beat butter and sugar in electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition, then add vanilla extract. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl, then add the mixture alternating with the milk. Make three additions, beginning and ending with flour. Fill muffin cups with batter and top with blueberries. Bake for about 20 minutes - until lightly browned and the tops of the cupcakes spring back to the touch.

When cupcakes are cooled, top with a small amount of lemon curd and spread to make a thin layer over the top. Pipe on whipped cream frosting and top with candied lemon peel.

Whipped cream frosting
whipping cream
granulated sugar
vanilla extract

Directions: Beat whipping cream at high speed until soft peaks form. Add granulated sugar and vanilla extract to taste (I use about 1 Tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp vanilla).

Candied lemon peel
From Epicurious

2 lemons
granulated sugar

Directions: Wash lemons well and peel skin off in thin vertical strips using a vegetable peeler. Place peels and 1 C cold water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Pour off water, pour in another 1 C cold water, and bring to a boil again. Repeat a third time, then pour off the water, remove peels and let cool.


Combine 1 C sugar and 2 C water in the saucepan, and whisk over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add lemon peels and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let the mixture simmer uncovered until the peels are tender and translucent, about 10-15 minutes. Drain peels and let cool.
Toss peels in granulated sugar to coat, and shake to remove excess. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my word. These look amazing! At the cupcake shop I used to work at, they had the most lovely lemon blueberry cupcakes, but these look even better! I totally share your lemon obsession btw. We have two five gallon buckets filled with lemons from the trees in our backyard and I've found their uses endless. Thanks for posting this recipe, I'd love to give it a try if I ever have the occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I am currently obsessed with everything lemon right now too! The candied lemon peels look good just to eat by themselves...

    ReplyDelete